Sunday, February 19, 2012

Substitution vs Denial

IBS and the Gold's Gym 12 week challenge
Post #9-Week 2, days 6 and 7

When I started this challenge I was denying myself alcohol, soda, sweets, and most carbs. The carbs was the first to go as I needed more energy to fuel my workouts. I am still trying to only eat them pre-workout and one meal a day. Soda was the second I cheated on, mostly to avoid the temptation of having a beer or glass of wine with dinner. Eventually I realized that I could have a glass with dinner and still be way under my calorie count so I stopped denying that as well. I came to the realization that in order to have sustainable weight loss, it needs to be ok to cheat with in reason. I'm still going to try to stick to the rules but I won't beat myself up if I slip a little, especially with diet soda or whole wheat pasta before or after a hard workout. 

Now allowing myself a little, has swung me back into my old ways a little. Drinking too many calories and then losing inhibition with food. I'm still with in my calorie burn for each day, but can do much better. As they say, complete denial can lead to binging. I will need to find the mental discipline to stay on track. This is where IBS can actually HELP. Yes, I said IBS helps. Completely messed up I know. I have learned with IBS when craving a trigger food to look at it and imagine what I will feel like after eating it and then think about a similar food that doesn't give me a negative reaction and eat that instead. I need to do this with carbonated beverages. I haven't had beer since starting the challenge since it makes me a whole lot sicker than wine or liquor. I need to cut out soda and find non-alcoholic beverages that are low calorie and don't have carbonation. I substituted carbonated water for a while, but with IBS the saying is "Bubbles in = Bubbles out" and this is very true in my case. At home I can sub in crystal light or other diet drink but its out and about that is hard. I should just drink water, but sometimes I want a flavor. Darn your brainwashing America. ;) Maybe I'll learn to like ice tea without sweetener. ;)
Fun hats in Orlando.
Don't take yourself too seriously. Live. 

Friday
5:00am Workout - Circuit training, heavy cardio
6:15 am Protein smoothie
12:45pm Chicken Biryani (finally at the last left over of this!)
4:30pm Shrimp with Lemon Orzo
4-10pm a Bottle of Champagne
9:00pm Slice of Coconut cake (argh!)

Saturday
9am Body Pump
10am Zumba
11:15am Pulled Chicken BBQ with diet coke
3:30pm Sabzi (vegan) salad with baked falafel
7:00-10pm Wine and sushi

On Saturday morning I still weighed 167. Let's see if I at least maintained. My burn was at least 200 calories higher than my consumption, but with IBS-C that can be too close... My plan today is several hours at the gym or going skiing. We'll see what I weigh and I'll get back to you. Feel free to post comments about motivation you use or tips for diet for me and all the other readers!

4 comments:

  1. I am a fan of water. We have the same biology as animals, and they all drink water and eat raw meat and plants. Other than cooking meat, I think that's the healthiest way to live, choosing whole foods (fruits , vegetables, nuts) over processed, and avoiding grains when trying to lose weight. Grains are fuel for the skinny. Once you are eating the right foods and are active, you will see if you need to decrease the daily caloric intake, but you might not have to! Hope this helps.
    PS I am an endocrinologist who specializes in obesity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for your post Dave! I think that is great advice. Good to know that I should be avoiding grains right now and that I was on the right track with that. A lot of the advice we get for IBS-C is to eat less fiber (whole grains and raw veggies) but I have found while the whole grains can cause problems with constipation, there are some veggies (usually those high in water content) that are actually good for the constipation. It took a while to find the trigger foods (broccoli, peppers, raw onions, any thing that causes gas in normal people) it was worth it to integrate more veggies. I will focus on those foods and follow your advice. Thanks again for the great post.

      Delete
  2. A home fitness gym is a great idea and will give you a convenient place to work out at home without having to go to the gym. As they are private, in your own home, if you do not like to work out with the people around they are ideal. however there are a few things to consider before you purchase a home gym in order that you find the right one for you.

    Cal Apatite with Magnesium

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reading these posts, I couldn't not reply.
    I was diagnosed with IBS when I was just 11 years old. Now I am 41, healthy, fit and energetic. I am 5'6", 125 pounds with visible abdominal muscles.
    If you would like to learn how I over came IBS and got into the shape I am today, check out my book, "Combat Irritable Bowels" on Amazon.
    https://www.amazon.com/Combat-Irritable-Bowels-Dis-Ease/dp/1943753075/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1470721288&sr=1-5&keywords=karin+drummond
    I hope this helps!!!
    Dr. Karin Drummond

    ReplyDelete