Thursday, February 9, 2012

IBS and the Gold's Gym 12 Week Challenge Post #1

My name is Kate and I am a 30 (soon to be 31) year old female band director with IBS-C (constipation primary symptom) and I am attempting to transform my body in 12 weeks through the Gold's Gym Challenge. I finish week 1 on Saturday and I am down 4 pounds to date. It is my hope by publishing this blog that if I am successful, that I can help others like me find a way to lose weight while dealing with chronic constipation.

1 month ago
1 yr ago
Any one with this issue or who knows someone with IBS-C knows that exercise helps the symptoms but it never gets rid of them. Same goes for control through diet. Even if you are super careful to eat only easily digested foods or using food combining, that doesn't always save you from symptoms either. I use a combination of these things and medicines prescribed by my doctors and over the counter remedies to try to manage symptoms. Flare ups still occur depending on my stress level, what I eat, the amount of sleep I get, and how much I exercise. Its "managed" but I do not live symptom free. Its often so bad that people ask me "when I'm due." Yes, they assume I am pregnant. This is why I am trying to slim down as much as possible so even my worst days my body is no where near preggers belly.

Here's what I am doing. I take a combination of anti-depressants to numb stomach nerve endings (IBS treatment) and to counter balance hormones from the birth control pill. I also occasionally need the aid of antacids, anti-gas meds, and the water pill to combat the bloat only when I mess up diet or cave and drink carbonation. I am attempting to eliminate alcohol, soda, carbonated beverages and limit carbs and fiber that doesn't come from veggies. I NEVER eat eggs, broccoli, cow's milk/cheese, or peppers as these are strong triggers for me. I work out twice a day most days, once at 5 am before work and once after work. I do strength training followed by cardio in most sessions. Additionally, I have a vegan rice protein shake after the AM workout and eat dinner immediately following the PM workout. I also take co-rivalen and acetyl L-carnitine to help metabolism. Jet fuel is my special secret. Taken before a workout, for me, it has worked in the past to up my calorie burn and give me some extra energy. 

Remember that I am in a contest to transform my body and this level of work is because it is change time. I have lost this weight before but couldn't find a way to keep it off, mostly because I love football and all the treats that come with spectating...I will continue my blog after I finish and reach my goals to see what adjustments I make to shift to maintaining and share their efficacy as well. 

I hope you'll join me through the challenge and see how I'm doing!

At my thinnest 2 yrs ago

2 comments:

  1. Good luck! I don't have IBS-C but I know how hard it is to exercise and lose weight when chronic illness is a factor. I'll root for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks MusEcologist. It's really true no matter what the chronic problem it really can get in the way of doing the very thing we are told to do to get healthier even when it helps alleviate the problem.

      Delete